POLITICS AND THE PATIENT PROTECTION AND AFFORDABLE CARE ACT
Regardless of political affiliation, individuals often grow concerned when considering perceived competing interests of government and their impact on topics of interest to them. The realm of healthcare is no different. Some people feel that local, state, and federal policies and legislation can be either helped or hindered by interests other than the benefit to society.
Consider for example that the number one job of a legislator is to be reelected. Cost can be measured in votes as well as dollars. Thus, it is important to consider the legislator’s perspective on either promoting or not promoting a certain initiative in the political landscape.
Post an explanation for how you think the cost-benefit analysis in terms of legislators being reelected affected efforts to repeal/replace the ACA. Then, explain how analyses of the voters views may affect decisions by legislative leaders in recommending or positioning national policies (e.g., Congress’ decisions impacting Medicare or Medicaid). Remember, the number one job of a legislator is to be re-elected. Please check your discussion grading rubric to ensure your responses meet the criteria.
- Review the Resources and reflect on efforts to repeal/replace the Affordable Care Act (ACA).
- Consider who benefits the most when policy is developed and in the context of policy implementation.
- Milstead, J. A., & Short, N. M. (2019). Health policy and politics: A nurse’s guide (6th ed.). Jones & Bartlett Learning.
- Chapter 3, “Government Response: Legislation” (pp. 37–56)
- Chapter 10, “Overview: The Economics and Finance of Health Care” (pp. 180–183 only)
- Congress.gov Links to an external site.. (n.d.). Retrieved September 20, 2018, from https://www.congress.gov/
- Taylor, D., Olshansky, E., Fugate-Woods, N., Johnson-Mallard, V., Safriet, B. J., & Hagan, T. (2017). Corrigendum to position statement: Political interference in sexual and reproductive health research and health professional education. Nursing Outlook, 65(2), 346–350 Links to an external site..
- United States House of Representatives Links to an external site.. (n.d.). Retrieved September 20, 2018, from https://www.house.gov/
- United States Senate Links to an external site.. (n.d.). Retrieved September 20, 2018, from https://www.senate.gov/
- United States Senate. (n.d.). Senate organization chart for the 117th Congress Links to an external site.. https://www.senate.gov/reference/org_chart.htm
- Document: Legislation Grid Template (Word document)
"Place your order now for a similar assignment and have exceptional work written by our team of experts, guaranteeing you A results."