- A 10 Implicit Bias.docx (14.907 KB) (UPLOADED BELOW)
Assignment on Implicit Bias
1.) Read about implicit bias and how it is defined on this webpage. (some people use unconscious bias rather than implicit bias. The latter term comes from the field of social psychology). Peruse the site and the resources available through the Kirwin Institute. http://kirwaninstitute.osu.edu/research/understanding-implicit-bias/
2.) Watch the following topic overview video to further explore the concept of Implicit Bias.TED talk by UCLA Law Professor, Jerry Kang (14 minutes)
3.) Read the following scholarly article to frame the issue of implicit bias in health care: Examining the presence, consequences, and reduction of implicit bias in health care: A narrative review (Zestcott, Blair & Stone, 2016). https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4990077/
After watching the video and reading preparatory learning material, read about the Implicit Association Test (IAT) by going to the website below. Read the introduction and then look at the education tab and the blog tab. Then complete two Implicit Association Tests (https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/takeatest.html)
Take at least one of the tests on race or ethnicity (e.g. Asian IAT, Skin-tone IAT, Race IAT, etc.). and another of your choice (e.g. race/ethnicity, gender, sexuality, weight, age, etc.).
For Assignment # 10, you will answer the following questions:
- Give a brief definition of implicit bias and why it might be important in understanding health disparities? (2)
- Post/share what IAT you completed. You do not need to share your results, however, what did you think of the IAT? (1)
- Do the results surprise you? Why or why not? (1)
- What actions can you take to mitigate the potential effects of this implicit bias? (1)
"Place your order now for a similar assignment and have exceptional work written by our team of experts, guaranteeing you A results."